Bioconstruction – Natural Building
Eco Caminhos has been constructing with natural building techniques since 2015. Using natural and recycled materials, we combine ancient sustainable techniques with modern design and technology. Our bioconstruction houses preserve the planet while providing its users with a lot of comforts. The designs are energy neutral, treat wastewater with natural filters, “breathe” better, and integrate incredibly in the natural landscape.
Hands-on natural building
Floor Heating and Cooling
Become energy Neutral
Eye for Details
At Eco Caminhos, we want people to experience natural rustic bioconstruction housing in the mountains, while still having the comfort of any modern designed house. This starts with a design that brings nature inside your living room, bedroom, bathroom, and/or kitchen.
We built using natural materials such as local stone, cob (a mixture of clay, sand, and grass) all responsibly sourced from the local property. We also often use recycled train tracks for the wooden constructions. The hazardous chemicals often used in construction are avoided by using other techniques or biologically friendly, natural materials such as lime.
A glance at our bioconstruction projects
Our first priority is to provide an excellent user experience, combining the influx of light with optimal climate regulation for comfortable living. In South America bioconstruction still has the image of being primitive as many people are improvising as they often lack the skills and resources. But luckily this is changing. Slowly but steadily, natural building is becoming recognized as a serious technique that can combine sustainability with high comfort.
We have a team with a wide range of skills and experiences.
- Architecture: We have an experienced natural building architect on our team
- Project Management: We have over 15 years of project management experience
- Building: We have experienced natural builders on our team
- Cob (also known as cobb): a building material comprised of subsoil, straw, and sand
- Wattle and Daub: A composite building method used for making walls and buildings in which a woven lattice of Bamboo strips called wattle is daubed with cob
- Green Roof: green roofs are excellent for thermal insulation and, of course, look astonishing
- Natural Wastewater Treatment: We use a banana filter for black and grey wastewater filtering
- Solar Boiler: We use a solar boiler for providing hot water
- Double Glass: For western countries this is not very special but in Brazil it is much rarer
- Drainage: We have a drainage system under the stone wall foundation
- Floor Insulation: We use expanded clay to prevent humidity infiltration and to insulate the floor
- Positioning House Towards the Sun: For a healthy indoor climate, the direction your house faces is really important With our extremely humid summers and cool winters, positioning the house towards the sun (North) has proven essential
Need bioconstruction consultancy or want us to build your house?
Please take in mind that we take bioconstruction very seriously and that we believe that building a house can only become a success if all parties enjoy doing it. Bioconstruction is time-consuming and requires a highly qualified and motivated team. We like to deliver a product that is more sustainable, durable, healthy, and much more beautiful than most conventional build houses. Now we only deal with clients that want to offer our team fair conditions. In case you consider contracting us for consultancy or the actual building of your house here an example of how we get to the desired result:
Step 1: Understanding needs – Understanding the client’s needs: in a first chat (online or present) we try to understand what the client is looking for
Step 2: Proposal – In case we find common ground we will prepare a first proposal for you.
Step 3: Design – If we reach an agreement we start preparing the preliminary bio-architecture designs.
Step 4: Preparation – In this phase, we prepare a project plan with different phases of the execution of the project.
Step 5: Execution – this is when the construction/implementation starts.
Step 5: Evaluation – At the handover of the project we like to evaluate with the client about the process and result.
For people who want to learn natural building skills, we have different types of volunteer programs.
You can contact us and we will reply to you as soon as possible.