Volunteer at an Eco Farm while living with a Brazilian host family
If you love nature, enjoy active holidays, and believe that we need to change things on our planet because we are destroying, it our Eco Experience programme is right for you. Eco Caminhos is situated in Cardinot a beautiful rural neighbourhood in the mountains. The green mountains, the waterfalls, creeks, variety of birds, and cows grazing on the steep hills give you the feeling of absolute freedom. We offer you the opportunity to live with local Brazilians in this wonderful environment, experiencing their culture, customs, and food; the ideal setting to learn and practise the Portuguese Language. The host families live right next door to Eco Caminhos, where we offer you the possibility to participate in bioconstruction, organic farming, and a number of activities including Portuguese classes, hikes, campfires, and visits to touristic sites.
What will your average day look like?
Volunteers in our Eco Experience programme usually choose to work approximately 24 hours 3 days a week. Volunteers can choose between bioconstruction and organic farming. Our project coordinators will provide you with a theoretical introduction to the different techniques we use. After this you can join the ongoing projects. Our activity coordinator will organise 2 activities per weekfor you. This varies from hikes, camping in the mountains, horseback riding, to cultural trips in the region. In addition, you are welcome to the volunteer nights at Eco Caminhos, which include movie nights, board games, and campfires. Of course, you are also free to make your own plans. After your work day and on weekends when we do not have any activities planned, you can do as you please. Many of our volunteers use their weekends to explore Nova Friburgo or Rio de Janeiro.
Where will you be staying?
Eco Caminhos carefully selected families in Cardinot near our Eco Farm. You will have a private room and will be offered full board. Only when the family is not home you are expected to cook your own food. The local Brazilian families are very welcoming and friendly, and they enjoy letting you experience their local food and customs. So far we have had nothing but great feedback on the programme.
To guarantee your safe and comfortable arrival our trusted driver from Nova Friburgo, Patrique, can pick you up and leave you at the Eco Caminhos doorstep. He will wait for you in the arrival hall with a small name plate. Patrique charges only R$ 330 (approx 100 US$), which is a very sharp price for Brazil. We can also arrange for you to be dropped off at a specific location on your day of departure.
|Period||prices in BRL||Prices in US$||Prices in EUR|
|1 week||R$ 2,050||$ 654||€ 548|
|2 weeks||R$ 3,250||$ 1037||€ 868|
|3 weeks||R$ 4,250||$ 1,356||€ 1.135|
|4 weeks||R$ 5,000||$ 1,595||€ 1.335|
|5 weeks||R$ 5,750||$ 1,835||€ 1.536|
|6 weeks||R$ 6,500||$ 2,074||€ 1.736|
|7 weeks||R$ 7,250||$ 2,314||€ 1.937|
|8 weeks||R$ 7,750||$ 2,473||€ 2.071|
* Our prices are in Brazilian Real and are exclusive of tax. The prices in US$ and Euros are indicative and the exact amount in US$ or Euro will be calculated on the day of booking.
- Homestay with private room, including full board
- Bioconstruction and organic farming at Eco Caminhos
- Hikes, horseback riding, campfires and camping in the mountains*
- 1 Portuguese class per week (more on request)
- Participation in volunteer nights, including boardgames, cinema, and campfires
- Touristic sightseeing in the region*
*You pay for your own transport and entrance fees (if applicable)
- If the host family is not home, they will leave food for you to cook for yourself and you will able to use their kitchen
- The cleaning of your room and the things you use are your own responsibility, not that of your host family
- Airport transfer is not included, but can be arranged for around 100 euros
- We do not charge for any activity, however, in case activities involve costs for transport, food, accommodation or administration you are expected to cover these yourself