Living in our eco farm with a local family
If you are a nature lover and believe in the need to connect and care for it, the Eco Experience program is right for you. Eco Caminhos is located in Cardinot, a beautiful rural neighborhood in the mountains of the northern state of Rio de Janeiro. We are close to waterfalls, creeks, thousands of birds and in the middle of the hills. At Eco Experience, you will have the opportunity to choose accommodation with a local family – experiencing a simple way of life and Brazilian cuisine – or staying in a bioconstructed house. During your experience, you will be able to learn and participate in bioconstruction, organic farming, Portuguese lessons, hiking, bonfires, visiting tourist places and meeting people from all over the world.
Stay with local Brazilian Families
Do amazing hikes
What will your average day look like?
Volunteers in our Eco Experience program usually choose to work approximately 24 hours, 3 days a week. Volunteers can choose between bioconstruction and organic farming. Our project coordinators will provide a theoretical introduction to the different techniques we use, after which you will join the ongoing projects. Our activities coordinator will organize two activities per week for you, ranging from hiking, mountain camping, waterfalls, cultural trips in the region and so on. Plus, you’re welcome to Eco Caminhos volunteer nights, which include movie nights, board games and bonfires, and of course, you’re also free to make your own plans, many of our volunteers use your weekends to explore Nova Friburgo or Rio de Janeiro.
Hosting with a local family
We have carefully selected families in Cardinot from nearby Eco Farm, you will have a private room and complete food, but need to share the bathroom with the owners of the house. We always advise the volunteer to participate a little in the house routines, for example helping to cook once a week. The local families are very welcoming and friendly.
Hosting in a bioconstructed house
You can choose accommodation in a bioconstructed house by the entire Eco Caminhos team, where the owner’s family resides. You will have your own bedroom and bathroom. The food will be organic, directly from our garden.
To ensure your safe and comfortable arrival you can count on a trusted driver, Patrique, he will be able to pick you up and drop you off directly at Eco Caminhos, he will wait for you in the Arrivals Hall, we can facilitate contact between you, but you will have to pay the right amount directly to him. The other option will be to come by bus, we can guide you and pick you up from Nova Friburgo.
Prices (Full Board)
|Period||prices in BRL||Prices in US$||Prices in EUR|
|1 day|| R$ 600|| $152|| € 130
|2 days|| R$ 1.000|| $254|| € 216
|3 days|| R$ 1.300|| $330|| € 281
|4 days|| R$ 1.550|| $394|| € 335
|5 days|| R$ 1.550|| $445||€ 378|
|6 days|| R$ 1.900|| $483|| € 410
|1 week||R$ 2.100||$533|| € 454
|2 weeks|| R$ 3.800|| $965||€ 821|
|3 weeks|| R$ 5.200|| $1.321|| € 1.123
|4 weeks|| R$ 6.200|| $1.575|| € 1.339
|5 weeks|| R$ 7.000|| $1.778|| € 1.512
|6 weeks||R$ 7.500|| $1.905|| € 1.620
|7 weeks||R$ 7.900|| $2.007|| € 1.706
|8 weeks||R$ 8.200|| $2.083|| € 1.771
* Our prices are in Brazilian Real and are exclusive of tax. The prices in US$ and Euros are indicative and the exact amount in US$ or Euro will be calculated on the day of booking.
- Homestay with private room,
- Full board: delicious typical local Brazilian dishes.
- Theoretical introduction about the implementation of Permaculture, bioconstruction and agroforestry on our farm
- Hands-on bioconstruction, Agroforestry and organic farming at Eco Caminhos
- 1 activity per week, including hikes, horseback riding, campfires,and camping in the mountains *
- 1 Portuguese class per week (more on request)
- Participate in volunteer nights, including board games, cinema, and campfires.
*You pay for your own transport, food and entrance fees (if applicable)
- If the host family is not home, they will leave food for you to cook for yourself and you will able to use their kitchen
- The cleaning of your room and the things you use are your own responsibility, not that of your host family
- Airport transfer is not included, but can be arranged for around 100 euros